The Artifact Blog
Which Apron is Best For You?
The first question to ask yourself when selecting an apron is, "how will I use my my apron?". A woodworker has different apron needs than a pastry chef.
ARTIFACT aprons fall into two categories:
Workshop Aprons - Heavier material (like 14oz duck and wax canvas), rivet reinforced pockets, above knee length, and more pockets for implements and tools.
Chef / Studio Aprons - Machine washable twills or denim, longer length, and fewer pockets.
Workshop apron wearers include: Jewelers, Gardeners, Woodworkers, Metal Workers, Cordwainers, Painters, Carpenters, Bicycle Mechanics, Cobblers, Machinists, Felters, Carpenters, Sculptures, Leather Workers, Mushroom Foragers, Weavers, Ceramists, Pet Groomers, Stained Glass Workers, Framers, Sign Painters, Harvesters, Welders, and more.
There are "cross-over" Workshop apron wearers, who could wear our Chef / Studio apron for their task, but choose a more substantial workshop apron for aesthetic, or other reasons. These cross-over apron wearers include: Baristas, Bartenders, Florists, Food Stylists, Servers, Grillers, Barbers, and Chefs. They accept that their workshop apron does not like being machine washed if it is wax canvas, or if it has permanently affixed leather straps.
Wearers who choose our Chef / Studio aprons include: home and professional Cooks, Bakers, Hair Stylists, Baristas, Ice Cream Technicians, Food Stylists, Painters, Grillers, Servers, Hair Stylists, Crafters, and those seeking a professional quality apron that can be machine washed regularly.
- Denim - Offered for both Workshop & Chef / Studio apron. Medium weight (11-13oz). Machine Washable (cold water) and air or tumble dry low
- Wax Canvas - Offered with our Workshop aprons. Heavy weight (14oz). Develops a unique leather-like patina with use. Hand wash / Spot clean with mild soap (no detergent) to preserve wax finish. Wax can be reapplied.
- Duck Canvas - Offered with our Workshop aprons. Heavy weight (14oz). Hand or machine was (cold water). Air dry.
- Wax Cotton - Offered with our specialty aprons. Medium weight (10oz). Develops a unique leather-like patina with use. Hand wash / Spot clean with mild soap (no detergent) to preserve wax finish. Wax can be reapplied.
- Brushed or Herringbone Twill - Offered with our Chef / Studio aprons. A tight, durable weave with a comfortable drape. Medium weight (8-8.5oz). Machine washable (warm). Air or tumble dry low.
Aprons For Gifting or Staffing:
All of our Chef / Studio aprons and most of our Workshop apron are conveniently sized Regular or X-Large. A few of our premium Workshop aprons have an adjustable leather waist belt with a 6" range of adjustment. These require knowing some basic size info about the apron wearer, including pant size and approximate height. Size charts are provided on our apron product page.
Hopefully, this is information is helpful. If you have questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for reading!
Click To View All ARTIFACT Aprons